Miller Insurance Beaumont Home Page Facebook Twitter Google Maps Blog RSS LinkedIn YouTube


Auto Insurance
Home Insurance
Motorcycle Insurance
Boat Insurance

Young Family at HomeAccording to the CDC, over 300 children go to the hospital every day to be treated for poisoning. Two children die each day as a result of poisoning. You can take steps that prevent the likelihood of poisoning in your home. Consider the following suggestions to poison-proof your home. This is important even if you don't have children currently residing at your home, but you commonly have young visitors.


First you need to identify which items in your house are poisonous if ingested. Cleaning supplies and medicines are the two most common poisons. Don't overlook things that are not harmful in small doses but cause an issue if a large quantity is ingested. Vitamins are a good example. Also consider if you have any indoor or outdoor plants that are poisonous.

Elevate Or Lock

Now that you know what is poisonous, make sure all poisonous items are inaccessible to any children in your home. One option is to elevate the items so they are out of reach. This is especially effective for young children. Store items on a high shelf or on top of the refrigerator. Even better, lock items up. Use cabinet locks for cleaning supplies that are stored under a sink.

Consider The Garage

If a child will have access to your garage, it is important to store chemicals safely. Elevate anything dangerous or install a cabinet that has a lock. Consider eliminating hazards you no longer need, such as used oil. Dispose of these items properly.

Primary Containers

It may be tempting to move chemicals to a new container, especially if only a small amount is left. The same may be true with medicines. For the safety of the people entering your home you should keep anything that is potentially poisonous in the original container. That way it will be labelled properly. 

Be Prepared

Despite your best efforts to take appropriate preventative measures, you might still find yourself in a situation in which you are worried that a child has been poisoned in your home. Be prepared by having the Poison Control Center number posted in an easily accessible location. Consider including it with other emergency numbers. The number is 1-800-222-1222 and can be called 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

By taking the above steps you will reduce the likelihood of an accidental poisoning in your home. However, the risk is never completely wiped out. If a visitor accidentally becomes poisoned in your home, your home insurance policy's liability coverage can help cover the associated medical expenses and save your finances.

Protect your family and your guests. Call Miller Insurance Agency at (409) 899-9531 for more information on Beaumont home insurance.
Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive

View Mobile Version
Our Latest Blog
Review Us
Connect With Us:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ YouTube RSS

Visit Us

Miller Insruance Agency
Miller Insurance Agency
7225 Eastex Freeway
Beaumont, TX 77708

Phone: (409) 899-9531
Fax: (409) 899-5245

Site Links

Auto Insurance
Home Insurance
Motorcycle Insurance
Boat Insurance
Make a Payment
Refer A Friend
About Us
Contact Us
© Copyright 2017. All rights reserved. Powered by Insurance Website Builder